Are you having trouble explaning the importance of process documentation to your colleagues? You're not alone!
In this process management minute, David shares his thoughts on the importance of process documentation.
So what comes to mind when you hear the phrase process documentation? Is it bureaucracy? Is it outdated practices? Inefficiency?
Well, if that's what you think. You wouldn't be alone. But you know what? There are many reasons to have a well-documented process.
The first one is ensuring your team is on the same page and working towards the same business goal. If you're onboarding new employees, having a documented process is essential to pass on corporate knowledge to the next generation.
If you're looking to improve your process, you need it laid out in front of you so you can identify weaknesses and make those improvements. If you're in a regulated industry, having a documented process is essential for compliance.
And finally, if you're looking to automate your process, having a well-documented process is the blueprint for automation, because you can't automate what you don't understand.
Now when it comes to process documentation, there are three things I'd like you to remember:
- The first thing is to make sure that you document your processes in a consistent manner. Whether it's a business process or an IT process, it should be formatted and laid out in the same way with the same categories of information. One of the best ways to achieve is to mandate the use of a process documentation template.
- Secondly, document your process at the appropriate level. Too high a level, nobody's going to use it or find value. Much too complex and people wont be able to follow it. Find that balance.
- The final thing you wanna do is engage your stakeholders when it comes to documenting processes. Because nobody understands the process, better than the people who live every day.
Business Process Design Approach
Want to learn more about improving your process documentation? Check out these articles and webinars:
- Introduction to Process Mapping
- Process Diagrams: Why they are important & examples to get you started
- Process Documentation: A Complete Guide
- [Webinar] Best Practics in Process Design and Documentation
Looking for a process documentation tool designed to save you time and money? Attend a live demo of the Navvia Process Designer by clicking here.